Methyiprednisolone and Clarithromycin

Patient

Q: I was put on Methyiprednisolone(21 pills over 6 days, 4mg) and Clarithromycin(500 mg twice per day) to reduce nasal swelling before a cat scan. But I have to say, after reading the side effects for both, I'm kind of apprehensive to take them. I'm always concerned about what I put in my body. I guess what I'm asking are the chances for side effects and how severe they can be or how long they can last. I'm a 23 year old man with no other issues than my nasal swelling.

Doctor

A:   It seems that you were given a course of corticosteroids (Methylprednisolone) along with antibiotics (Clarithromycin) for immediate control of symptoms. There is no need to panic, such short term therapies do not have any long term side effects, especially when taken under the supervision of a qualified Doctor. You should consult an ENT Specialist for further evaluation and management of your nasal swelling.