Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Methyiprednisolone and Clarithromycin

Methyiprednisolone and Clarithromycin

Patient: I was put on Methyiprednisolone(21 pills over 6 days, 4mg) and Clarithromycin(500 mg twice per day) to reduce nasal swelling before a cat scan. But I have to say, after reading the side effects for both, I’m kind of apprehensive to take them. I’m always concerned about what I put in my body. I guess what I’m asking are the chances for side effects and how severe they can be or how long they can last. I’m a 23 year old man with no other issues than my nasal swelling.

Doctor: It seems that you were given a course of corticosteroids (Methylprednisolone) along with antibiotics (Clarithromycin) fo r immediate control of symptoms. There is no need to panic, such short term therapies do not have any long term side effects, especially when taken under the supervision of a qualified Doctor. You should consult an ENT Specialist for further evaluation and management of your nasal swelling.