Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Metoprolol succinate

Metoprolol succinate

Patient: I take Metoprolol Succinate 50mg however I ran out of my prescription 6 days ago. Is it safe to take Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg as a substitute until i can get my orginal prescription refilled?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Metoprolol succinate is an extended release version of metoprolol tartrate. They both are o f the same drug class of antihypertensive medication and can also be use to treat angina. Since the half life of these medications are different is is not recommended to substitute them win an equivalent dose fashion (50mg for 50mg). We do not know how severe your hypertension is, and we cannot offer you a correct dose adjustment for metoprolol tartrate as substitute. We recommend that you call your prescribing doctor or pharmacist to determine what will be the best dose adjustment for you. The best and safest way is to renew your original medication (metoprolol succinate) and commencing taking it as normally prescribed.Thank you for choosing asktehdoctor.com