Metrodinazole and Codeine

Patient

Q: Hi, I am currently taking metrodinazole twice a day for a week. I am on the second day. I also have a pretty bad cold and was prescribed codeine. Can i take codeine while taking metrodinazole? I am only concerned because of how you are not supposed to drink any alcohol while taking metrodinazole--and some people use codeine to basically get drunk. Also, not sure if it is relevant but i have the Mirena IUD and am taking valtrex when needed (I have taken one today).

Symptoms:  BV (hence the metrodinazole) and then sore throat along with green snot and a cough.
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.

Noted your history of taking Metronidazole for BV and this is the drug of choice in this condition.
You have been prescribed Codeine for a bad cold. Yo have also sore throat along with green snot and cough.
You have Mirena IUD and take Valtrex when needed.
I can understand your major concern about whether you can take Metronidazole and codeine together.

Metronidazole is known for its property of being Antabuse effect when taken with alcohol in many forms.
This may not cause any reactions when taken with Codeine. Hence, both the medicines can be taken together.
So do not worry and go ahead as advised by your Doctor.
I am a bit worried about the green color of the snot and cough. Green color indicates that there is an infection. I would advise a broad spectrum antibiotic.

I hope this answer helps