Microgestin - sublingual administration OK?

Patient

Q: My girlfriend has been ill for the past 12 hours or so, and is worried that if she takes her birth control (Microgestin) at the usual time, she'll just throw it back up. What I'm wondering is, can this medication be administered sublingually, so as to eliminate this possibility? Thanks!

Doctor

A:   Microgestin is an oral contraceptive containing norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol. The drug comes as a tablet and needs to taken by mouth. Unfortunately the drug will not be absorbed into the system if taken sublingually. You may try giving your girlfriend anti-emetics before taking microgestin. If this does not help, she may need to take the pill the next day if she feels better. If your girlfriend misses 3 doses or more, she need to see her doctor.