Microlite

Patient

Q: Hi, today I got my period and am due to start the contraceptive pill for the first time. My doctor prescribed me microlite which my mum thinks I shouldn't have been put on as she had a heart attack when she was 47. I'm just wondering is it safe for me to go ahead and start taking the microlite or should I see my doctor about being put on a different pill!? Thanks

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.
Generally the small amount of estrogen present in the oral contraceptive pill should generally not pose a problem but it is always better to explain to your healthcare provider who has prescribed the medication as the usage of these pills is contraindicated in cases with a history of angina pectoris, deep venous thrombosis, myocardial infarction etc. so that he can prescribe alternate medication as contraceptives which contain only progesterone supplements.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.