Mid Back pain in a teenager

Patient

Q: Im 13 years old, nearly 14. My back has recently been hurting just below my shoulder blades, every night it took me a while to find a position that i was comfortable enough to sleep. I was about to do my daily sit ups, and didnt realise there was something underneith my back as i layed down. My back clicked and now it really hurts. I cant get comfy enough to sleep for tonight. Im taking ibuprofen for the pain. Can anyone help me? Im too scared to see a doctor in person!

Doctor

A:    Possibly you hurt your mid-back while doing the sit-ups with the object underneath, and now you are experiencing a Mechanical back pain, which is the second most common reason for seeing a physician in the United States. Of the US population, 85% will experience an episode of mechanical Back Pain at some point during their lifetime. Fortunately, this kind of pain resolves for the vast majority within 2-4 weeks. The suggested strategy in your case would be: try to practice flexion and extension exercises of the spine to reduce the nerve tension, these exercises may improve the muscular strength, flexibility and endurance of your spine muscles. Also is very important to keep a good posture at all times and practice low-impact activities such as swimming, walking, and bicycling can increase overall fitness without straining your back. While standing, keep your head up and stomach pulled in. If you are required to stand for long periods of time, you should have a small stool on which to rest one foot at a time. And the next time make sure that the surface underneath is free of objects that may hurt your spine. Just following these easy recommendations you will decrease the chances to have episodes of back pain.