Ask The Doctor > Pending > Mid left back pain – Stabbing feeling

Mid left back pain – Stabbing feeling

Patient: I am 22 year old male who has been experiencing mid to upper back pain over the past year. Over the last month and a half I have noticed an increase in the occurrence and severity of the pain. I can best describe it as someone constantly stabbing me on my left side of my mid to upper back, closer to the spine. Whenever I position my left arm as to throw a football and perform the motion of throwing a football I begin to feel the pain. The stabbing pain is also accompanied by a feeling of running out of breath. I wake up constantly in the middle of the night and feel the left part of my back numb and moments later in pain. I have noticed that placing a heating pad in this area relieves some of the pain, but not for long. It seems as if any movement that draws my left shoulder blade closer to the spine causes this pain.

Doctor: