Middle finger hit with ball playing netball

Patient

Q: Hi I play netball and just over 4 weeks ago got hit on the top of my middle finger with the ball. It was very swollen and badly bruised and extremely painful. I strapped it to my ring finger, but after 4 weeks, I still had a lot of pain and swelling and limited movement. I went to the doctor who said that she thinks I just need to start moving it and it is just stiff and swollen because it has had no use. I asked why I still have so much pain and she just said to start moving and using it. I have done what she said and my finger is even more swollen and sore than before and now the swelling extends to the palm of my hand. Even my hand is starting to become painful now. My question is, do I keep doing what she has said? Do I stop using it again and see another doctor? What might be causing this? Thankyou in advance for any help. Charlene

Symptoms:  Swollen sore finger that I can not straighten or bend
Doctor