x
154 Physicians Online

Question:

Middle fingers deviated outwards

Hi, Both of my middle fingers bend towards the ringer finger from the PIP joint to the tip. This has never bothered me until two months ago. I've played guitar (with a pick) for 16 years but just got a classical guitar (finger picking). I've found that my middle and ring finger rub against, or bang into, each other. This only happens with my right hand. The right hand ring finger looks fine when straight, but heads towards the middle finger went bent. I've read about finger malrotation and it doesn't sound fun or cheap to fix. The ring finger might be the real problem, but it seems like a straightened middle finger would work just as well. To my question. I found these splints that claim to 'help straighten fingers twisted sideways by arthritis or injury'. found here. www.3pointproducts.com (it won't let me post the url) Could this possibly work? I'm skeptical because a google search only brings up sites selling these things. Thank you

Answer:

Of course you can give it a try and see if the splints help to correct  a little bit the position of your middle fingers, but the definitive treatment is a derotation osteotomy with internal fixation  to correct malrotation of metacarpal / phalanxes bones. The splints may work correcting partially the rotation but not totally in a rotation that has been there, maybe becoming structural, for years.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.