Migraines with Auras and PCOS

Patient

Q: Hello,

I am 31 years old with PCOS, and have been getting migraines with auras for about a year and a half now, with increasing frequency. I was on an ultra low dose birth control to control the PCOS, but was advised to discontinue usage due to the increasing frequency of the migraines with auras (started at 1 per 3 months and increased to approximately two per month). My doctor prescribed me a progesterone only birth control, which I did not respond well to. My acne issues came back, as well as unwanted hair that is a result of the PCOS. I had constant bloating and also still had sporadic migraines with auras, just not as frequent. My doctor put me back on Mircette about a month ago and had me take .5 pill per day vs. the entire pill. I am not sexually active and not worried about the effectiveness of the pill to prevent pregnancy. Since being back on the pill, I haven't had any migraines with auras until this week, in which I had two, both during menstruation. She just gave me a prescription for propranolol, which I need to start taking daily. Can propranolol prevent migraines with auras? I considered low-loestrin, but was advised not to take it by my pharmacist due to it's androgenic properties and my history with a progesterone only pill.

I am healthy otherwise and not diabetic. I have limited my diet (less red wine, alcohol, chocolate, etc) in attempt limit the migraines with auras.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to how I can control BOTH the PCOS and migraines with auras.

Doctor