Mini Pill aka Progesterone-only Pill

Q: Hi i've been on Cerzette for the last few months but today i've lost my last pack of pills. Being the bank holiday i can't get another pack until Tuesday. I do however have a pack of Micronor which is the pill i had before Cerazette. Will i be protected against pregnancy if i take Micronor until i can get a new pack of Cerazette?

A:   Yes, you may use Micronor for the meantime for contraception. Bear in mind though that for the first 5 days and last 5 days of active (w/ hormone) pill use, backup methods (male condoms) are suggested since there will still be a chance for pregnancy. The active ingredient in Micronor is Norethindrone while Cerazette has Desogestrel. Both Norethindrone and Desogestrel are progesterone-like hormones so the mechanism of action is very similar. You may start back using Cerazette as soon as you can, it will not matter what day but the sooner the better. I do hope this helps.