Mirena and dizziness

Patient

Q: Can the Mirena cause headaches and dizziness? I have had it in for about 2 and 1/2 months now and these symptoms started about 2 weeks ago. It is severe and I feel like something is wrong. Can the hormones in the Mirena cause these symptoms?

Doctor

A:   Headaches and dizziness are common side effects of medications.
In my practice, I do not see these symptoms commonly associated with Mirena - an intrauterine device used for birth control.  They are more commonly associated with oral medications.  Additionally, the onset of symptoms do not strongly support Mirena as a cause of your headaches and dizziness.
I suggest you see your doctor for an evaluation.