Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mirena and possibly pregnant

Mirena and possibly pregnant

Patient: I have had Mirena in place since October 2014. I have not had any mentrual symptoms since its’ placement. The past few days I’ve had mood swings and two days ago I had light cramping so I took a HPT and got a positive. Should I find an OBGYN or go to the ER?

Symptoms: Mood swings, pregnancy test

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Pregnancy while being on Mirena is somewhat rare.So, now b etter to consult your doctor or go to ER to confirm the pregnancy.By doing an ultrasound, the presence of intrauterine pregnancy can be identified and gestational age can be calculated.Then if pregnancy is confirmed, you can consult gynecologist through your doctor and can go for further management depending on your choice of either continuation of pregnancy or not.Hope this helps.Take care.