Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mirena Coil and norethisterone

Mirena Coil and norethisterone

Patient: I had mirena coil fitted 13 weeks and haven’t stopped bleeding since.Periods then spotting between periods. I am going on holidays and was wondering would norethisterone tablets stop the bleeding for me?

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to experience bleeding or spotting when an intrauterine device (IUD) suc h as a hormone eluting IUD like Mirena (levonorgestrel IUD). However, your bleeding has being going on for over three months and this concerns us. You will have to be examined by your doctor and possibly have this IUD removed as it may be causing the bleeding. We do not recommend taking any medication in an attempt to stop your bleed as this may result in adverse reactions. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com