Mirena Coil and Pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hi I have mirena coil and have had it fitted for 7 months now. I have been very regular with my periods since having it fitted and it has been such a relief. This month I missed my period so 2 days ago I decided to do a pregnancy test as I have been very tired and my breasts have been very tender and also have also felt the occasional nausea. The result was positive so to make sure I done a econd one and that also had a positive result. Me and my partner are very happy but have been reading stories that have made us very worried... We have seen that having the coil removed while pregnant can cause a miscarriage and also having it kept in until the due date can lead to disabilities and long term problems and even still birth. I am very worried and need advice on what the best thing to do would be also I am very scared. Any advice that you have would be greatly welcomed.

Doctor

A:   Hello, I realize your concern about possible pregnancy with an Intra Uterine Device. Firstly I would suggest you to go as soon as possible to the hospital and get evaluated by a physician especially a Gynecologist for a blood pregnancy test to confirm your possible pregnancy.
No contraceptive method is 100% effective and you could be pregnant, due to the fact that you have an intra uterine system, I agree with you that this could interrupt the pregnancy causing miscarriage in early pregnancy or ectopic pregnancies in which the implantation of the fertilized egg occurs usually in the fallopian tubes but the uterus, so your gynecologist might need to remove the coil for the pregnancy to continue without any problems.
The soon that you complete this the better chance for the pregnancy to continue without any issues. I wish you the best.