Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mirena coil since 2010, the last few days I have had slight fluttering feeling in the left hand side abdomen

Mirena coil since 2010, the last few days I have had slight fluttering feeling in the left hand side abdomen

Patient: I have had the mirena coil since 2010, the last few days I have had slight fluttering feeling in the left hand side abdomen, no other symptoms, strings are still reachable. Home pregnancy tests come back negative what could it be?

Doctor: Thank you for your query.From your query, since you say that the strings are still reachable shows that the mirena coi l is in place. As the pregnancy tests we also negative probably there should be no reason to worry. But as it has been almost 4 years above since the insertion of the coil it is advisable that you meet the doctor and get a scan done to see if everything is alright. Mirena coil (IUD) can be used for a maximum of 5 years after which it is suggestible to get it replaced as the hormone emitting action may not be effective after 5 years.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.