Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mirena IUD and vaginal spotting

Mirena IUD and vaginal spotting

Patient: I Have Just had the Mirena IUD in just over a month now, and I am having some bleeding. I know some is normal but mine is VERY dark and more then just spotting. I wear a panty liner and i have to change it once a day!! Is this normal???

Doctor: Vaginal spotting happens more commonly in copper IUDs as compared to progesterone containing IUDS (e.g. Mirena). It is p ossible to experience menstrual irregularities within 3 months of IUD insertion. However, I would still suggest for you to see your doctor to make sure there is no concurrent infection (infections can also present with spotting). I do hope this helps and I wish you well always.