Mirena IUD expiration

Patient : I've had the Mirena IUD for 5 years now. It was due to be removed on January 25, 2015. Recently, I noticed that my nipples are very tender and hurt when touched (most prominent symptom that has me worried), making me unsure of whether or not I am at risk for getting pregnant. Will the Mirena continue to release the hormones or is that just a myth?
Symptoms:  Sore nipples, very itchy skin - chest, stomach, back, change in bowel movments - diarrhea for a few days, then normal, urgent feeling, then normal