Mirena UID

Q: Have has Mirena IUD for 2 1/2 years. i am one of the one that my period never went away or became lighter. It is regulated now. i am now having weight gain, hot flashes, sore breasts, nausea to smells, metallic taste to everything I eat and drink. Was never been able to feel the strings, but was told IUD is hanging low. Could it be pregnancy and still getting period? Or just side effects of Mirena all of a sudden

Symptoms:  nausea, vomitting to certain smells, metallic taste to everything, sore breasts, fatigue

A:   Thank you for your question. Your symptoms that you are experiencing are well documented side effects of a hormone based IUD. You may simply be experiencing symptoms of your IUD and it is possible to have spotting while on an IUD. However, if your IUD has moved, it may be rendered ineffective and you can become pregnant. We recommend that you see your gynaecologist and be examined to see if this is the case. If it has moved, then it would be best to undergo pregnancy testing to be certain that you have not become pregnant.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com