Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Miscarriage, help me

Miscarriage, help me

Patient: I miscarried on march 28th 2015. They removed the fetus and did a d&c, I feel a sharp stabbing pain on my left side and on stomach area, what is the causes for that?

Symptoms: Sharp stomach pain on left side

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.After undergoing D&C some amount of pain can be experienced due to the instrumentation during the procedure.Pain at stomach area could be due to gastritis caused by antibiotics used after procedure.You can try analgesics and antacids to decrease the pain.If pain persists even after taking analgesics, better to consult your doctor and get the evaluated to rule out post procedure infection, retained products etc.By clinical examination and an ultrasound the possible cause of your problem can be identified and treated.Take care