Miscarriage or period

Patient

Q: Im not sure if i had a miscarriage or my period.i was 11 weeks and 3 days pregnant. i had cramps,pains and bleedings. how can i tell if i had a miscarriage ? what would cause the baby to drop ? when should i tell if im pregnant again ?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about possible miscarriage. Most miscarriages occur before the 12th week of pregnancy. The common symptoms found are vaginal spotting or bleeding (although spotting or bleeding in early pregnancy is fairly common), Pain or cramping in your abdomen or lower back and Fluid or tissue passing from your vagina.Keep in mind that spotting or bleeding in early pregnancy is fairly common. In most cases, women who experience light bleeding in the first trimester go on to have successful pregnancies. Sometimes even heavier bleeding doesnt result in miscarriage.I would suggest first to consult your Gynecologist to rule out miscarriage by taking another Blood pregnancy test which would give us the levels of your pregnancy hormone or HCG. If the numbers are lower than before then a confirmation with an Ultrasound might be needed. I wish you the best.