Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Miscarrying after 42 days for 5 times now

Miscarrying after 42 days for 5 times now

Patient: Hi, I have been trying to get pregnant for about 1 and 1/2 years now and I have PCOD (left ovary). In this time line, I have been tested positive for HCG 5 times (used home pregnancy test strips and took beta HCG blood test) waiting for a week from the day my period is due. But each time it turned out to be disappointing as I get my periods in 38 to 40 days (even after taking susten vaginally and orally). No pain. My doc said that it should be taken as pregnancy as there was significant rise in HCG in just one day after the missed periods. Doc considers it to be lutel phase defect. Now, it has turned out to be even more worse for the past 6 months. I get my periods exactly in 28 days even though we have been trying to have baby and take medications like siphene, Ovaa shield, Folibert, Glycomet (blood sugar), Susten Sustained release tablets. I also took antibiotics like C. Doxy, Zenflox and T. AF in the first three days of my period to prevent any chances relating to infection. All these does not seem to work. Please let me know what I should be doing? Does diet have anything to do with it?

Doctor: Your presentation of symptoms is classical to luteal phase defect, super imposed by PCOD. You must get day 21 progestero ne test, which can confirm the diagnosis. Since there is defect in progesterone hormone, which is vital for pregnancy to control, frequent abortions will occur. If you are planning for being pregnant, you must start upon treatment regimen of various drugs which control PCOD. Muti vitamin support can help you. Get pregnant under supervision of a gynecologist, so that abortions can be avoided. Initial hormonal support helps you a lot along with physically exercises. Consult a physician at the earliest for further management.