Misoprostol consumption methods.

Patient

Q: I am writing a high school paper on abortion facts/awareness/controversies. I read that misoprostol is to be taken buccally and thought that was interesting and wanted to know why that is? Is it somehow less effective or safe for women if they swallow it normally or otherwise dissolve it into a liquid for consumption?

Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

Misoprostol is a wonder drug which was initially used for gastrointestinal symptoms then its application was accidentally found on uterus as it cause uterine contractions and can be used for abortions.
In practice there have been various protocols and different set of dosages for different routes of administration. It may be vaginal , oral or buccal. vaginal application is with higher dosages as compared to buccal .

So, these protocols are tested and safe and now it s widely used for early trimester abortions. BUccal abortion is faster and it is known to bypass the first pass metabolism of liver m, hence the dosage required is also less as compared to oral or vaginal route.

I hope i have answered your query,
regards