Misscarriage but Pregnancy test positive after 4 weeks.

Patient

Q: Hi there i had a miscarriage 4 and a hlf weeks ago i took a preg test two weeks ago and agian today both were positive..i had my period already before i took the test,had a lil more blood today havin a sore back lately and lil sick to my stomach(didnt actually get sick)

Doctor

A:   HCG concentrations should drop rapidly following a miscarriage and should be undetectable within 2-3 weeks. If hCG does not fall to undetectable levels, it may indicate remaining hCG-producing tissue that will need to be removed. You may need to see your doctor to see whether it is a new pregnancy or a retained products of conception that is causing the positive HCG.