Missed 3 days of birth control, unprotected sex. am i pregnant?

Patient

Q: How high are the chances that I'm pregnant?

Symptoms:  i had unprotected sex after missing 3 days of birth control. how high are the chances of pregnancy?
Doctor

A:   Since you missed 3 contraceptive pills, stop taking the pill till next cycle and start pills from next cycle. It is always advised to switch to other contraceptive methods to be sure not to be pregnant like use of condoms, etc, though the chances of pregnancy is very rare even with unprotected sex. First get a pregnancy test to be sure and use alternative contraception till next period and resume to pills from next period. Remember to take pills regularly next time.