Missed 3 days of medication

Q: I'm 27 yrs old, and I missed 3 days of my medication, norvasc 5mg, now my blood pressure is high again. Hanging around 160/105. When i got my medication started again I went through a couple days of the initial side affects as well, headache, dizziness, and shortness of breath. It has been over a week since I'm back on it and my BP hasn't budged, only in-between morning exercise and morning bedtime (I work night shift). How long until my BP gets back to normal? I have a physical for a new job and a colleague's offer for this position was rescinded for his untreated high BP.

A:   Thank you for your question. Study therapeutic blood concentrations of Amlodipine (Norvasc) are likely achieved after about 7 days of consecutive administration. After about a week, your blood pressure should decrease and remain steady for about 24hrs until you take your next dose.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com