Missed one pill but used a condom

Patient

Q: I'm on birth control and I missed just one pill recently-- I've been so stressed I must've just not noticed it. My partner and I had sex the other night but still used a condom-- should I go get the ECP or am I okay?

Doctor

A:   Emergency contraceptive pill, is used to prevent an unplanned pregnancy after having unprotected sex. It might also be needed if a dose of oral contraceptive pill is missed or if the condom breaks. If you have used a condom after missing the pill you are protected against pregnancy. You may need to continue using the condoms till the next set of pill. ECP is most effective if taken as soon as possible, ideally within 24 hours of having unprotected sex, however, it works well up to 72 hours.