Missed One Pill of Portia, is Plan B Necessary

Patient

Q: I missed one pill of Portia (been taking for 16 months) in the first week of the pack and had unprotected sex.. then took that pill about 2 hours later.. do I still need to take Plan B?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Any change in your oral contraceptive schedule can put you at risk of becoming pregnant. However, since you took your OCP 2 hours after forgetting, it is possible that the medication did not wear off to put you at risk for becoming pregnant. A though the chances of becoming pregnant is low, we do not want to rule out the fact that you may have become impregnated. In this case, we would recommend that you do go ahead and take the emergency contraceptive Plan B. You may also continue taking your daily oral contraceptive as planned. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com