Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Missed period after coming off the pill

Missed period after coming off the pill

Patient: I was only the pill for just over a year and stopped taking it last year september. I had my period every month since then. Even though I was always a few days earlir or late. I haven’t had sex since the first week of january and have had my period twice since then. Is it possible that I could be pregnant or is it because of the pill? Because I am 10 days late now.

Doctor: I do understand your concern. Missed periods could be due to several causes, primarily among which is pregnancy and stre ss. Since you’ve have a couple of periods after your last sex, we can rule out pregnancy. I would advise a period of observation in your case. If you still do not get your periods, get a pregnancy test done just in case.