Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Missed period but urine pregnancy test show not pregnant.

Missed period but urine pregnancy test show not pregnant.

Patient: Before me and my girlfriend used to be in relation she used to have period problem , she didn’t had her period for 3 month. Doctor said it was because of some kind hormone problem and gave her some med. after few day of taking med she had her period and also after a month . but after 2 month her period stopped again. we both are very sexually active and did home pregnancy urine test 2 time after about 40 day and 50 days but the result was negative. how accurate is urine pregnancy test ? we both are very tensed because we come from the culture where having sex before marriage is very big deal.

Symptoms: nothing

Doctor: Thank you for your query.Generally it is difficult to predict ovulation time in women who have irregular periods. The re may be an underlying reason for the hormonal imbalance which needs to be diagnosed. It is because of this she is not having regular periods. It is advisable to see the doctor who can do a scan to know the reason or opt for a blood test for βhCG to know if she is pregnant. It is better to use OCP’s to avoid unwanted pregnancy & they can actually regularize the periods as well. Other modes of contraception can as well be followed.Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.