194 Physicians Online

Missed period over a year after giving birth

Since i've given birth to twins in Dec 2010, i have not had my periods for over a year and my stomach is always bloated and painful. Is this normal?

There could be several causes of irregular or missed periods in your case. Pregnancy is the most common cause of a missed period. If you might be pregnant, use a home pregnancy test as the first step to finding out whether you are pregnant. If you are not pregnant, other causes of missed or irregular periods include: Excessive weight loss or gain, stress, illness, hormonal problems and breast feeding (many women do not resume regular periods until they have completed breast-feeding).

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA