Missed period over a year after giving birth

Patient

Q: Since i've given birth to twins in Dec 2010, i have not had my periods for over a year and my stomach is always bloated and painful. Is this normal?

Doctor

A:   There could be several causes of irregular or missed periods in your case. Pregnancy is the most common cause of a missed period. If you might be pregnant, use a home pregnancy test as the first step to finding out whether you are pregnant. If you are not pregnant, other causes of missed or irregular periods include: Excessive weight loss or gain, stress, illness, hormonal problems and breast feeding (many women do not resume regular periods until they have completed breast-feeding).