Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Missed period, slight cramping, tender breasts

Missed period, slight cramping, tender breasts

Patient: I had the flu about a month ago, and also had sex about that time, I was protected. My period is now 5 days late, could it be from the flu?

Symptoms: Missed period

Doctor: Hello,If you had protected intercourse last month and during the flu , then it is unlikely that you would be pregnan t even you have missed your periods by 5 days now. however it is better that you get a urine pregnancy test done to rule out pregnancy to allay your anxiety.Th delay can be due to stress induced by illness during the month which can cause hormonal imbalances and a possible delay in menses. I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards