Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Missed Period With No Spotting Or Bleeding

Missed Period With No Spotting Or Bleeding

Patient: I’ve missed my period. I’m 7 days late with no spotting or bleeding. I’ve tested negative for pregnancy at home 4 times…This is the first time its ever been this late. I feel pregnant but why are the test saying negative?

Symptoms: Bloated, minor cramping, headache

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Little bit of irregularity in periods can occur due to many causes.Usually menstrual cycles with length of 21 days to 35 days should be considered as normal only.Just by symptoms we cannot come to one conclusion regarding pregnancy.So, if you are having previous regular periods, now you can go for blood test for pregnancy to find out the possibility of pregnancy, as blood test can give more accurate result compared with urine test.If you are having previous irregular periods, better to wait for few more days and repeat urine pregnancy test after one week.If test gives negative result even after one week, consult your doctor once and take tablets for withdrawal bleeding.Hope this helps.Take care.