Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Missed Periods After Stopping Depo

Missed Periods After Stopping Depo

Patient: I started taking the depo shot December 7th 2011, I took my last depo shot on like August 27th 2011 so it was suppose to be complete out of my system by October 31, 2011 which was my renewel date which I did not renew. I didnt have a period after feb. 15 2011 from being on the shot and here it is the end of March 2012 and I still have not had a period, no bleeding whats so ever. Here lately I have been experiencing cramping like I’ve never had before, it is extremely painful… is this all normal? When will my period come back so I can get pregnant and why do my cramps hurt 100 times more then ever. And I heard that depo shots can cause you to not be able to get pregnant at all? Is that true

Doctor: Unfortunately it is quite common to experience missed periods after stopping depo injections. There is no evidence that Depot contraceptives have any long term effects upon a woman’s ability to conceive. However, it may take up to a year after your last injection for your normal cycle and fertility to return. If your periods have not returned by 12 months after your last injection, and you are wanting to conceive, you should consult a gynecologist.