Missed periods and weight gain. Could I be pregnant?

Patient : My last period start date was2 10 12 but only lasted 2 days I should be starting again on 3 10 12. But I have gained 10 in a month for no reason. And am on no birth control. I have light nausea. Could I be pregnant?
Doctor :   It is difficult to tell whether your symptoms are due to pregnancy or not based on just your symptoms. Pregnancy tests a re pretty standard. The best time to take them is after a week or more of a missed period. The most common types of home pregnancy tests use a test strip or dipstick that you hold in the urine stream or dip into a sample of urine. An area on the end of the dipstick or test strip changes color if hCG is present, meaning you are pregnant. In most cases the home pregnancy test will recommend that you use the first urine of the morning to ensure results are as accurate as possible - and usually 7-10 days past your missed period.