x
196 Physicians Online

Question:

Missed periods but negative pregnancy test and ultrasound

Hi. My last period was in April 2011, and I haven't period till now. I took home pregnancy test and it showed negative. I went for ultrasound and there is 'nothing' inside. Also, the doc said there is some kind of blood form inside there waited to be discharged as in period. So the doc gave me 10 days of pill to help me with my menses. I have started the pill from 16 June but I haven't period till now. I got all the PMS symptoms like mood swings, breast pain, back pain, acne, fatigue... What is actually happening? Thanks for your help.

Answer:

You may have an ectopic pregnancy - means the implantation of the fertilised ovum occurs outside of the uterus, more commonly anywhere in the tubes. In such cases the pregnancy hormone levels may be low and one may test negative on the home pregnancy test. Ultrasound may not show anything in the uterus because the implantation has not occured in the uterus but the fallopian tube. Thus you may repeat the home pregnancy test or take a blood test which is more accurate for confirmation. Ultrasound may be repeated with due observation for the presence of any ectopic pregnancy. You need to consult a gynecologist at the earliest for early management of the condition (if it is diagnosed to be an ectopic pregnancy) and prevent complications related with the growing pregnancy and considerably small room for its accommodation in the tube.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA