Missed Periods When Always Been Regular

Patient

Q: I am 48 and have missed my last 3 periods but I have always been VERY regular. I have no other symptoms of menopause. I take meds for high blood pressure and no other meds. I am not stressed or depressed. I had a tubal about 17 years ago. Is this something to be worried about?

Doctor

A:   In some women the only sign of menopause may be the changes in the menstrual cycle. Some may experience a sudden stop of the cycle while others may have irregular cycles  with a gradual reduction in the inter menstrual period. Also there may or may not be any symptoms associated with it. The severity of the menopausal symptoms experienced in each women varies widely. You are probably in the menopausal phase of your life that ends with no menstruation for a year, which is when menopause is said to have been completed.

In some women the only sign of menopause may be the changes in the menstrual cycle. Some may experience a sudden stop of the cycle while others may have irregular cycles  with a gradual reduction in the inter menstrual period. Also there may or may not be any symptoms associated with it. The severity of the menopausal symptoms experienced in each women varies widely. You are probably in the menopausal phase of your life that ends with no menstruation for a year, which is when menopause is said to have been completed.

Guest: I am going throu the same thing but I am 44 .I haven't had mine in the last 3 months ,haven't even spotted.