Missing IUD strings

Patient : 29 year old mother of 2 kids, and my weight is 83kgs , i m having IUD inserted and strings are missing from last 15 day and m in my periods what to do should i wait till my period finish or visit my doctor as soon as i can
Doctor :   Often the strings are high in the cervix or hidden under a fold in the vagina. However a missing IUD string could also b e a sign that the IUD has been expelled or has perforated the uterus. I would advise that you see your doctor. A pelvic exam need to be performed to determine the location of the string. Although not absolutely necessary, an ultrasound or X-ray can be used to locate the IUD if the strings cannot be found.