x
173 Physicians Online

Question:

Mitral valve prolapse with cough and sore throat

I been sick for 2 weeks it started sore throat coughing alot, sinuses, I became very weak. I took musinex cold and cough at night and dayquil during the day.. I now have just a sore throat and coughing. it feels like I got a rock stuck on the right side in my throat. What is wrong with me? I never had a fever or if I did I didnt know. I do not smoke I have quite for a month now and have no intentions on picking up ever again... Any help? Thank you Grace

Answer:

Most cases of sore throat and cough are caused by a viral infection. Though in certain cases, there may be an associated bacterial infection that worsens the symptoms.
You`ve mentioned that you are suffering for a mitral valve prolapse, I would suggest that you consult your doctor regarding your symptoms. Since you may be prone to endocarditis due to your heart condition, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection of the heart valves.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA