Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Mixing alcohol and medications.

Mixing alcohol and medications.

Patient: Hello! I took benadryl at 6:30pm to help with a cold I have, I at 9:30pm also took 400mg of advil cold and sinus. Tomorrow, for new years, my friends are throwing a party at 9pm. Will it be safe for me to drink by then or no? I dont want to mix medication and alcohol. How long before it is safe?

Symptoms: None. Just a question.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.24 Hours is a good enough period to facilitate was hout of your previous medicines i.e. benadryl , advil cold. It would practically be safe to take alcohol as it would not interfere with your medicines.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!