Mixing Diabetic Meds of same class.

Patient

Q: Sir, Is it advisable to take Onglyza and Januvia together. Doc prescribed it but Pharmacist having trouble with it..Doc is using Onglyza to replace my Avandryl.. I Currently take: Avandryl,Januvia,Metformin, and Novalog pen for Diabetes.. Thanks. John.

Doctor

A:   Onglyza (saxagliptin) should not be used if you have type I diabetes, liver or heart problems and pancreatitis. You have also mentioned that you are on Januvia (sitagliptin), metformin and novalog which may increase the chance of a hypoglycemic attack. You may need to consult with your doctor in this regard. Hope the information helps, take care.