MMR SHOTdr wants to give it a second time

Q: My child had a mmr shot at 3 but now his doctor wants to give it again at 5. What are the risks? should i let him get the shot again?

MMR vaccine should be given two doses as per the immunization chart. Usually 1st dose is given around 15 months and 2nd dose around 4-6 years . It is also advised that all school aged children should have had 2 doses of MMR vaccine for better immunity. Regarding the safety profile of MMR vaccine, apart from the minor side effects like fever (1in 6)and rash(1 in 20), the occurrence of serious complications are very rare. Hence it is advisable to take the second dose of MMR vaccine , as the benefits of the vaccine overweigh the side effects.