Modafinil and drug tests

Q: I would like to take modafinil to battle fatigue while at work. However I am required to take an indepth 7 panel drug test. Will I fail if i take modafinil?

Thanks for using “Ask the doctor” for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The 7 panel drug test usually tests for 1Marijuana, Cocaine, opiates, Methamphetamines, Barbiturates, and Benzodiazepines in human urine. But interestingly along with these drugs of abuse, it checks for the metabolites as well. If you take modafinil for fatigue, the metabolites of modafinil may cross react and get detected as positive for methylphenidate or some other drug.
My sincere advice is, please don’t take modafinil for your fatigue. Instead I would suggest that if fatigue is a problem, then consult your physician. The two most common problems for office related fatigue is either a depression or an adult adhd. But for a careful evaluation, do visit your physician.
Hope this helps,
In case if you have any questions future, please use the “Ask The Doctor” services to help you with your queries.
Kind regards
Wish you a good health