Moderate monthly bleeding on Mirena

Patient

Q: I am 25 and have been on Mirena for just over a year. I still continue to get a moderate "period" every month. Why is this? What, in my own body, may be causing this? Could I have a natural increase of a certain hormone?

In addition, my sex drive has seemed to decrease considerably over the last year since beginning Mirena.

Symptoms:  Moderate bleeding, cramps, irritability
Doctor

thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

generally it is seen that after mirena application menses tend to stop by 4-5 months but if the menses are still continuing then there could be possible intrauterine polyps which can be ruled out by an ultrasound pelvis .
Secondly progesterone may sometimes cause a decrease in libido is some cases. I would suggest you to meet your physician for a per speculum exam for any local cause and ultrasound for uterine polyps.

wishing you good health,
regards