Mold allergy versus bacterial allergy

Patient

Q: I know when I first got sick and it was when I had a serious bout with mold in my bedroom. My ENT doctor has treated me for about a year with antibiotics, nasal sprays, and antihistamines; my sinus infection has not gotten any better. Is there a different treatment for sinusitis caused by mold and not a virus or bacteria? Is having this infection for more than a year unusual? Should my doctor do anything different than what is is doing.

Symptoms:  full feeling in cheek area on both sides of my face, right ear pain, decreased hearing in right ear, green black dried mucus,
Doctor

A:   You have complained of allergy to mold which might have caused sinusitis by super added bacterial infection. Prolonged symptoms suggest that, you are having chronic sinusitis. Antibiotics and other medications wont be helpful usually. A functional endoscopic sinus surgery, FESS which is both diagnostic and therapeutic will be helpful in your condition. FESS helps to clear the infection completely, which is moreover a day care procedure. Consult your ENT specialist for further management.