Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Mold allergy versus bacterial allergy

Mold allergy versus bacterial allergy

Patient: I know when I first got sick and it was when I had a serious bout with mold in my bedroom. My ENT doctor has treated me for about a year with antibiotics, nasal sprays, and antihistamines; my sinus infection has not gotten any better. Is there a different treatment for sinusitis caused by mold and not a virus or bacteria? Is having this infection for more than a year unusual? Should my doctor do anything different than what is is doing.

Symptoms: full feeling in cheek area on both sides of my face, right ear pain, decreased hearing in right ear, green black dried mucus,

Doctor: You have complained of allergy to mold which might have caused sinusitis by super added bacterial infection. Prolonged s ymptoms suggest that, you are having chronic sinusitis. Antibiotics and other medications wont be helpful usually. A functional endoscopic sinus surgery, FESS which is both diagnostic and therapeutic will be helpful in your condition. FESS helps to clear the infection completely, which is moreover a day care procedure. Consult your ENT specialist for further management.

View all posts