x
74 Physicians Online

Question:

Moldy cheese

I accidentally ate some pepper jack cheese that had mold on it. I realized it after I had already eaten it when I went to put it away. Will I be OK?

Answer:

Thank you for your question. If you ingested only a small quantity of this cheese, you will likely not experience any side effects. However, it may cause some mild gastrointestinal upset along with nausea, and or diarrhea. This can last for about 48 hours. Should the symptoms continue, please see your doctor immediately. You may need to be prescribed medication to treat a possible gastrointestinal infection caused by this spoiled cheese.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.