x
199 Physicians Online

Question:

Moldy cheese

Dear Ask The Doctor:
I accidentally ate some pepper jack cheese that had mold on it. I realized it after I had already eaten it when I went to put it away. Will I be OK?


Answer:

Thank you for your question. If you ingested only a small quantity of this cheese, you will likely not experience any side effects. However, it may cause some mild gastrointestinal upset along with nausea, and or diarrhea. This can last for about 48 hours. Should the symptoms continue, please see your doctor immediately. You may need to be prescribed medication to treat a possible gastrointestinal infection caused by this spoiled cheese.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com



Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA

Related Answers:

I'm 95% positive I contracted salmonella poisoning after eating eggs a day after their expiration date. I exhibited a...

Hi, My whole family ate fresh green beens that tasted sour and odd, so we stopped eating them immediately. They came ...

Hello, i am a extremely stupid and embarrassed teenage who accidentally swallowed a tiny bit of dish washing powder l...

Would blood or urine show food poisoning? Unable to get stool sample since only given liquids no solids

I just bit into a grocery store made peanut cookie and it tasted mouldy. I spit it out, but I'm worried because I had...

I've had a big bottle of Juicy Juice (orange tangerine) sitting beneath my bed for... it must have been a few weeks. ...

Hi, 3 days ago I had street food in China and went to bed, I woke up few hours later feeling a very intense stoma...

Hi there. i'm akon. i want to talk about my father. he is 56 years old. today he is continuously vomiting after that ...

Hello I ate food 5 days ago although it was cooked in boiling water and washing up liquid (my mother didn't realise s...

In the past 4 days, me and my parents have gotten very sick from something we ate at our house. We have no idea what ...