Molluscum Contagiosum

Q: I was wondering if I could prevent Molluscum Contagiosum by getting the HPV shot? My partner has it, but I do not. I do not want to engage in any sexual activity if there is no way to prevent it.

A:   I understand your worry about your partner’s condition. I will start by telling you that the HPV Vaccine won’t protect you against Molluscum Contagiosum which is another type of virus.
The infection can occur anywhere on the body except the palms of your hands or the soles of your feet. In adults, this presents more commonly as 2-5 mm dome shaped, shiny papules more frequently found around the anal and genital areas, in this case they should be screened for other Sexually transmitted diseases.
The best way to prevent transmission is avoiding direct skin to skin contact, contact with contaminated objects like doorknobs and faucet handles and Sexual contact with an affected partner until the papules resolve completely. For the treatment a combination of Curettage, cryotherapy and topical agents used for warts may be helpful. It would be recommended for him to get an evaluation of his condition with his primary care physician or preferably a Dermatologist.