Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Molluscum Contagiosum and its method of spread

Molluscum Contagiosum and its method of spread

Patient: My boyfriend was diagnosed with molluscum. I have no signs of it. I have had an std check up and I came out perfectly clean. Why dont I have the molluscum like he does?

Doctor: Molluscum is a viral infection of the skin and is caused by a pox virus. It spreads through direct skin to skin contact and sometimes sexual contact too.However it is not commonly checked through a std check screen. The diagnosis is a clinical one based on the appearance or the virus could befound through excisional biopsy of the lesions. The average incubation period ranges from 2-7 weeks and thus it could be that you are still having some latent virus or that you have not been infected at all which is still a possibility.I hope this helps answer your question. All the best.