Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Monster Energy Drinks – Absolutely Zero

Monster Energy Drinks – Absolutely Zero

Patient: Hello, My son has been interested in Monster Energy drinks. He is 17. The one that he claims to me is not as bad for you is called “Monster Energy Absolutely Zero”. I have uploaded an image of the nutritional facts. I just would like to know what are the negative effects of this drink. I understand it has caffeine which would be found in Coffee as well. Is there anything else I should be concerned about with this particular version of the energy drink? Thank You

Doctor: In the image with the nutritional facts of this energy drink, we can see that it has Complex B vitamin, which is benefic ial for many function in the body but it does not say about the amounts of  caffeine and Guarana in the “energy blend”, both substances are stimulants and tend to raise the heart rate, blood pressure and increase your metabolism, nervousness and  urination. There is no RDA (recommended daily allowance) for Caffeine, it is not a essential vitamin or mineral, for your information a cup of coffee may have approximately between 80-200 mgs, and a cup of tea may has between 30-50mgs. But when you begin to feel jittery, anxious or you start having diarrhea, you are reaching the maximum amount per day. Caffeine also increases calcium losses. Once said this, for your information a can of “Red Bull” has 80mgs of caffeine per 250ml, so as everything else if you abuse taking these kind of energy drinks you have a good chance to develop the symptoms that I described above.