Mood Swings since I started taking Prozac

Patient

Q: Hi! I've been diagnosed with major, long-term depression. I just recently started taking Pyroxene ("Prozac"), and while I know that the medicine messes around with the mood-affecting chemicals in my brain, I'm still very nervous. Since I started taking the medication, I've been extremely moody. Am I so moody because of the chemical changes in my brain? Or am I just paranoid?

Doctor

A:   Mood swings may occur while on prozac, but they may subside slowly in a couple of weeks as your body adjusts to the chemical changes the medication brings about in the brain. So you should follow up closely with your doctor for any changes in the severity of the symptoms that may occur while on this medication, especially if you have been prescribed trazodone also along with prozac, because these drugs have the similar serotonergic activity and extra caution needs to be observed for the prevention of the serotonin syndrome ( symptoms include tachycardia, hyperthermia, tremor, irritability, confusion,abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea etc.)

Mood swings may occur while on prozac, but they may subside slowly in a couple of weeks as your body adjusts to the chemical changes the medication brings about in the brain. So you should follow up closely with your doctor for any changes in the severity of the symptoms that may occur while on this medication, especially if you have been prescribed trazodone also along with prozac, because these drugs have the similar serotonergic activity and extra caution needs to be observed for the prevention of the serotonin syndrome ( symptoms include tachycardia, hyperthermia, tremor, irritability, confusion,abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea etc.)